Thursday, November 11, 2010

Meyer Center, you make workin' out fun...

One of the first things I wanted to cross off my list upon moving here was finding a place to workout.  After Googling what was considered the "best gym" in Springfield, The Ozark Fitness Center I, of course, stopped in.  However, I was instantly disappointed. As much as I love the 80's, there was way too much neon even for me.  In fact, the trainer who gave me a tour was embarrassed and said, "You will have to excuse this location-you will have access to the other Ozark Fitness location where there is more neon and a smoothie bar." Um, excuse me? I think I've had my share of neon for a lifetime and if I had anymore neon surrounding me while I worked out, I wouldn't be able to stomach a smoothie. Seriously. Besides that, I kept being pestered to join their tanning club in addition to my membership to which I responded, "Aren't you worried about skin cancer and looking like Keith Richards when you're 40?" 

This did not go over well. I asked him about the Meyer Center and he said, "Good luck if you want to be the only one who isn't over 80 years old."  Little does he know I LOVE old people. I live for the elderly. Anyone who can make crass jokes, talk about bowel movements all day, and feel confident wearing pajamas to dinner at 4PM is someone I want to befriend. Luckily, I did not sign up and checked out the gorgeous and inspiring Meyer Center. 




Voted best of via 417 magazine, the Meyer Center is a 90,000 square foot, new facility that includes the following amenities below. This place is an architect's dream. It is breathtaking both inside and out. 

-Olympic sized lap pool
Clean, gorgeous dressing rooms that provide private access to a whirlpool spa, steam room, sauna,  and showers.
-Kids club for when mom or dad needs someone to watch their little one while they workout.
-Brand new top of the line fitness and aerobic machines under a sky of plasma televisions.
-An indoor track for cold, winter months.
-Every set of brand new free weight, machine, workout band and ball you could possibly dream of
-A Subway in case you're itching for a quick sandwich on the way out.
-Personal training
-Nutrition services
-Towel service
-Massage
-Enormous basketball courts with sky high ceilings
-Racquetball courts

The list goes on and on. The best part? It's located within a hospital! If you're neurotic, elderly, pregnant, or have a health condition, imagine knowing if you pass out on a treadmill, you're only steps away from a wealth of doctors. Who offers that? Meyers Center does. 

Classes are always changing and exciting. From pilates to spinning, yoga, zumba, tai chi, kids tumbling, swim aerobics; even those with severe ADD will feel satisfied. If not? You're only an arm's length from psychiatrists.

If you're new to Springfield or looking to get in shape, you will be inspired to workout at this facility. Come on down, I'm usually swimming with the old ladies most mornings to 60's music including Neil Diamond today on the surround sound stereo. Heaven. 






Hours of operation

  • Monday-Thursday, 5 a.m.-11 p.m.
  • Friday, 5 a.m.-9 p.m.
  • Saturday and Sunday, 6 a.m.-7 p.m.
3545 S. National Ave.
Springfield, MO 65807
417/269-3282

No comments:

Post a Comment